Thursday, December 20, 2012

javelinas at the door

I keep fighting the urge to apologize...for slacking in updates, for posting too many photos like I'm fixin' to do, for not knowing how to do this from my phone. So, unapologetically:

We've gotten into a rhythm, more or less. On our 'off' days from the raspa, or after the kid's shift, we explore: hikes, strolls, ruins, secrets, museums...there is no shortage of things to do here.

A list:
•Fort Davis, again. And again.
•hunting for agate at Woodward Ranch
•viewing of 'Confluence' film about Rio Grande issues
•CHINATI HOT SPRINGS, the healing waters, the sunset, the stars, oh my!
•River Road (FM 170), watching the sun rise and color the Sierra Madres
•Terlingua (strange to think of visiting here at ages 14 with my dad & sister, 17 with friends on spring break, now with j & kid...)
•visit Chihuahuan Desert Research Institute
•develop and/or further tiny obsessions for field guides and history books, ocotillos and yuccas and cute cactuses (I know it's cacti, but that word doesn't fit with my affection for them), handsome military dudes from the 1800s, sotol tequila, coincidences and serendipities, and the general feeling of self-well-being that happens in these wide open spaces of the west.

I don't even miss tv. Or movies. The kid hasn't watched a movie since we got here; I snuck one in on j's laptop when they went camping, and it left me a little empty. I love movies, so this is interesting. I guess I'm like Andy Dufresne at Shawshank with his Mozart, I have enough in my head and heart to remember. :)

This place hosts a magic I haven't yet found words for. I'll keep looking for them. Until that time, photos.






































No comments:

Post a Comment